Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Oriental Beef Salad

This salad is SO GOOD. I hate that I always forget about it. On the other hand though, it makes it really great when we DO have it.



INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 pounds beef flank steak (I used Elk that my hubby got...it was great!)
2 TBS each: vegetable oil, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar (I just used "Rice Vinegar" I don't know if it's the same thing or not, but it tasted great)
1/2 cup water
1 cup each: thinly sliced celery and shredded red cabbage
4 green onions, sliced
1 package (3 oz) beef flavor Ramen noodles (omit if gluten-free as I did in the picture)
1 tsp sugar (or agave)
1 tsp each: instant beef bouillon and garlic powder
1 head romain, torn into bite-size pieces
1/2 cup slivered almonds
2 TBS toasted sesame seeds*
Ginger dressing (recipe follows)

DIRECTIONS:
Partially freeze flank steak by placing in freezer two hours prior to preparation time (this isn't a MUST-it is only to make it easier to cut, I didn't do it today and was just fine). Make marinade by combining water, oil, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, bouillon granules, and garlic powder; mix well. Stir in beef flavor packet from soup mix. Slice steak diagonally across the grain into 1/4 inch thick slices; cut slices crosswise into 1 1/2 inch strips. Place beef and marinade in plastic zip-loc bag, turning occasionally. Marinate for at least 30 minutes. Prepare Ginger dressing. Drain beef; heat large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat until hot. Stir-fry beef, 1/2 at a time, 5 to 6 minutes or until brown. Remove beef from pan after each batch is cooked. Drain beef, add Ginger Dressing and toss with lettuce, celery, cabbage, almonds, and broken ramen noodle. Place in serving bowl. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Makes 6 servings.

*To toast sesame seeds, heat sesame seeds in small pan over medium heat until golden, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and pour into small dish to prevent further browning.

Ginger Dressing

1/4 cup sugar (or agave)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 tsp ground ginger (this is in the spice section in the store)
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt

Combine sugar, oil, salt, vinegar, ginger, and pepper in small bowl, whisk until blended. Yield: about 2/3 cup.

3 comments:

Megan and Greg said...

asian salads are the best. We almost do it once a week. Once in awhile I'll do a different salad, but I like my asian cuisine! I pretty much never have beef like that anymore. I can never keep the beef tender 'cause it's so small and it grosses me out. Beef pretty much grosses me out all ways, now, anyway. I love food! I'm glad you have a really yummy dish you make! I think it makes life happy!

Aliese the Writer said...

I just commented on your last few blogs. Love you! :)

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

looks beautiful and delicious!! It was good to talk today! love and miss you!!