Thursday, November 29, 2007

Internship

I was going to take a picture of the letter, but my camera is DEAD! Gr. Anyway- I know I said we were going to stick with Rexburg for my internship, but this opportunity presented itself and we decided to hop on it! I saw an add online for 3 open positions for an internship in Idaho Falls with a CPA firm, for a Tax Accountant. The requirement for the position was that you have taken a tax class. I am currently taking a tax class. It says that it pays $8/hour. So I call up and ask if the position is still available. It's just the secretary and so she tells me to just e-mail my resume. I e-mail my resume expecting to wait a week or so to see how they are doing, and like 20 minutes later one of the partners calls me and says, I just got your resume, it just so happens we got a cancellation THIS morning and so I was really glad to see your resume. We'd really like to meet you. When can you come down to Idaho Falls? I told him I could make it the next day. So I went in my pinstriped pants and button up shirt with my blazer atop and talked to Kent Oseen. The business is called 'Crandall and Oseen, PA' Well anyway. He basically said, well we are very interested in hiring you, are you interested in us? I said, yes, I am very interested! He asked me a few questions, introduced me to a couple other accountants (I think, he never really clarified their role in the office...they seemed somewhat important) and then he said that he would send me a formal letter that I would need to sign and send back and thats that. Well, I got the letter today! Wooohooooo! So I am going to take it. I am actually pretty nervous though. I mean, the thing about this internship is...I really am going to be doing a lot of stuff. Not just...running errands and getting coffee. You know? On the letter it says:
"As an intern, we ask that you be willing to help in all aspects of our office including answering phones, helping clients, as well as completing tax returns...."

Wow. Helping clients? In the interview he said I'd be helping clients understand their returns and things like that and that I would be doing everything they do. He said by the time I am done there I will definitely know how to do tax returns. WELL- I know I have fulfilled the requirement for a tax class but I just always fear the worst that they are like expecting me to know everything about taxes and have my entire tax book memorized. Let me tell you- I DON'T! I know more than I did last semester, but the thought of giving advice and explaining things to clients?!?! That makes me nervous. I always fear that when I take a job, they are just going to let me loose and say, good luck! Like...no training. I KNOW that's not realistic...I hope it isn't anyway. I mean, what if I start and they are like...what?! We thought you would know all of this stuff...why did we even hire you? Am I crazy thinking all this? Probably. Anyway. I'm sure it will all be fine. They said numerous times in the interview, 'You will learn SO much here. It will be SUCH a good experience to you and will even help you in the rest of your school.' Stuff like that. So when they say stuff like LEARN and EXPERIENCE I figure they expect that I don't KNOW a lot of that stuff. That makes sense. I am reassured.

Ha, now that you have all read my mind and the crazy worries...if you even got this far...I will tell you that I LOVE christmas time. I love that there are christmas lights outside and I love Sunny radio station that plays christmas music all the time! Yesterday I made chocolate chip pumpkin bread. YUM! Oh- one sad note. I just realized because I looked at our fish tank. One of our tiger barbs died. I don't know if I mentioned this, but one of the tiger barbs was chasing the other one NON-STOP. Literally. Nipping at it too. It was crazy. We worried about it. Clay kept saying that he was going to tire him to death. He did. We watched him die. Well...Clay watched him die. I watched him suffer and twitch and then I couldn't take it anymore. How sad. Now we think that the aggressive tiger barb, and the aggressive Rosemary are friends. It's funny. Not the dying part, the friends part.

Okay, that's all. I love you!!!

12 comments:

Emily said...

Danielle, that is SO great! Really, congratulations. You are going to be great. Internships are excellent for learning and he was right, you will learn so much there. Don't be nervous (although i know you are...I would be too), they have had interns before and they will be helpful I'm sure. I am so excited for you! And jealous that you are getting a paid internship! That's really great, especially since you will have to be driving to IF.

Okay sorry that was long, I'm just really happy for you! Congrats!

Patty said...

Congrats on your internship. I know that you will do well. Just ask lots of questions and be a good listener and observer. YOu are really smart and will do well, so do not worry. I also love listening to the radio stations that play all kinds of Christmas music all day long. Looking forward to seeing you guys tomorrow. See you at school. Love you. bye now.

Jenni.Woodmansee said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm so proud of you danielle, seriously- i'm staring to look for internships and i'm really scared and i don't know how to go about it and i hate it and you've encouraged me... it's possible :)

you'll be SO great! you're a real smart girl and I know you'll catch on fast

way to go girlfriend!

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

I loved reading about that even though you had already told me! You left out a few things of course when you told me. I am soooo happy for you!

Boo hoo about your fish, I couldn't have watched that either.

I love you!

Megan and Greg said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!! Business woman!!!! I can picture you in your pin stripes and blazer looking like a working woman! So cool! So adult!!! ISn't that crazy?!!!! That's gonna be Greg in a couple years, doin' the REAL THING!!!! Crazy! Congratulations! Sound like you will learn a lot. And DON'T worry about your qualifications, they have had interns before and know what to expect, if they wanted more than you know, they would've required more. So don't worry, you'll be fine! EXCITING!!!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

You go girl. I think congratulations are in order and you will do well. You are a bright and intelligent young woman and will go far. Taxes are hard but you will listen and learn lots. So sorry about the fish. We had 2 angel fish that chased each other and one was so agressive that the one went to the other side of the veil. It happens and I don't blame you I could never watch much in the animal kingdom. Love you sooooo much. Grandma

Rebecca said...

I am so happy for you about your internship. You'll do great. I am sure you know more than you think. I love you.

Chad and Jessica said...

Awesome possum! How exciting! I'm so happy for you, I remember you talking about getting an internship earlier this year, and saying you might just go to H and R Block, and now look what has happened! You are seriously being blessed for being so righteous. You'll be great dude!

Lizzie said...

I'm sorry about your fish. Clay's comment about "tiring him to death," made me laugh though. It's funny the two aggressive ones are friends. I suppose it's "survival of the fittest" it your fish tank.

Congratulations on the job!!!! That's so great! Does that mean you will commute or move?

You will do GREAT! Also, I'm sure they've hired interns before, so they know that you don't already know everything. And since you are WAY smarter than most, they will be pleasantly surprised. = )

You're just one step closer to moving down here!!!!

Susan, Blain & kids said...

Hey Congrats on your internship, prayers are answered. You will do great. Sorry we missed you at Thanksgiving, hope you had fun with your Mom sounds like you did. Sorry about the fish. Say hi to Clay.
Love you guys,
Aunt Susan

AMY AND MIKEY said...

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooohooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! Good job Danielle! You are so amazing! You are so brave to just go and do that! You remind me of Rory. They know you don't know alot about tax returns, that's why he said- "you'll learn how to do a tax return by the time you leave here." That shows that they know you aren't experienced, and the only thing they asked for is that you've taken a class on tax returns. You will do great. I'm so happy for you. Sorry about your fish. Something kind of funny- hope this isn't overstepping boundries: Mike saw out of the corner of his eye "Clay watched him die." and he's like "Clay watched someone die?" hahahahah- like a person. But that is really funny about the two fish become friends. I love Christmas time too. Man you know how to make so much stuff. I've never made pumpkin bread, I wish you lived here so you coudl teach me. I love you-

Steve/Dad/Grandpa said...

I am very proud of you Danielle. I'm going to let you in on a little secret. The partners of that firm didn't know anymore than you when THEY started doing tax returns. I love you.
Dad