Thursday, July 29, 2010

Custom Roller Shade Tutorial

Do any of you HATE blinds with a PASSION like me? I HATE BLINDS! They tend to always do something like this:


Well, I finally decided I'd HAD ENOUGH! So I got the idea from Design Sponge, a great site for inspiration! And made my own custom roller shades.

I have been LOVING stripes, so I went with brown and white stripes for my fabric. Here's how I did it.

1. Go to your local hardware store (I went to Lowes and the workers were IDIOTS! I like Home Depot for the service...I like Lowes for prices...it's really a toss-up which is better all around, in my opinion). Get the right size roller blind and ask someone to cut it to your specifications. Make sure you get the hardware too- cause it doesn't come with the roller blind!

2. Buy heavy cotton, or decorator/upholstery fabric. I bought enough so that the width was about 2 inches wider than my window, and so the length is my window length + 9 inches extra.

3. Press sides of fabric in 1/2 inch.
4. Press those sides AGAIN- 1/2 inch over.
5. Sew close to the edge of fold on each side.

6. Press bottom of fabric up about 1/2 inch.

7. Press up another 1 1/2 to 2 inches.
8. Sew close to edge of fold. The side of this seam will be open, which it's supposed to be!

9. Take off the shade that comes on the roller shade.
It will be sticky, which is good for the next step. Press the shade you made onto the roller shade sticky part with your hands. Keep in mind the direction you want it to roll.
Then staple every 6 inches or so to secure fabric.
10. Last, put your wooden stick thingy you took out of the previous shade in your new shade's slot!
After you follow the manufacturers direction on tension adjustments, you'll have an awesome custom made roller shade!

6 comments:

AMY AND MIKEY said...

OH MY GOSH DANIELLE- YOU ARE SO COOL!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe you just did this on your own- holy cow, i mean I know you looked it up on how to do it- but still- with no help- just out on your own in teh wilderness- you are so cool! Man, you make it look and sound so easy! And it is sooooo cute! Do you think you could line it? if you wanted to block the light completely? wow- I am so excited about this for when we have a house! And I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee the fabric- love those chunky stripes and the colors- your house is so fun and cute adn trendy I love it. I feel like such a grandma next to you! I love you and thankyou so much for your wisdom! Can't wait to do one some day- sorry we missed eachother today- but I don't have school tomorrow- so we'll chat then :) love you-

Lizzie said...

Sweet. It looks awesome, as does your tutorial. GREAT explaining. I should try again. I tried doing this 3 years ago with Kate's nursery...but the tutorial had me spray fabric glue and glue my fabric to the existing shade. Not so good. You're way is MUCH better. Love you so much!

Mandi @ Vintage Revivals said...

You are so awesome! I love all of your fun stuff and I am DYING over your headboard! If I remember right werent you featured on all things thrifty a few weeks ago? You are awesome keep up the great work! Thanks for the nice comment!

mandi @ vintage revivals

Patty said...

Love the roll up blind looking forward to seeing it at your house..u make these things look so easy..keep up the good work..bye now

Kami said...

Amen, you are so cool! I really like that! I never try to do things on my own. I need to check out your blog more.... or better yet, have Tyler check it out. He love to create things!

Megan and Greg said...

FUNKY!!! Somehow I missed this one. I love it!!! You are so good at all this stuff!