Saturday, August 28, 2010

A new hope for Clay

So basically anyone who has been reading my blog for years knows my husband's health issues...but if not, I'll update you a bit.

We don't talk about it much, but my dear hubster has some MAJOR health problems. For years he was in pain 24-7. His hips and knees mainly. He had to come home early from his mission because of it, and has since just suffered through it. He went to numerous doctors directly when he got home from his mission, to get no help. He eventually settled on one doctor and once I was married to him (stubborn, high-expectation, no settling woman that I am) I decided he was a PIECE OF CRAP! He pumped Clay full of HEAVY medications that Clay's body became immune to after a couple weeks. So he was on a constant rotation of probably very harmful medication, to ease the pain. The doctor simply didn't care about fixing the problem, but only cared about treating the symptom--pain.

Eventually we were led to a chiropractor, who practices homeopathic methods. He diagnosed Clay with Lyme disease, and he helped Clay immensley. He took Clay off of all those heavy meds and gave him lots of herbs. Clay went from walking like an 80 year old man (and feeling like one too) to being able to walk without pain. However, after so much time...it felt like they weren't improving anymore, so Clay didn't want to waste the money. Also, he told Clay that the Lyme was gone, so we figured maybe he would just have certain symptoms the rest of his life.

Over a year has passed, and Clay has gotten to the point that he can't do much. He is a lot better than the early years of the marriage, when I felt bad asking him to take the garbage out...get me a glass of water, anything really. Now he can do basic things without too much pain (or so he tells me). However, if he wants to help someone on a roof, go paint-balling, play basketball, go shopping for a while with me, really- any long amount of physical activity- he is in extreme pain. He will sometimes be out on the bed for 2-3 days, unable to walk more than from the bed to the bathroom. This past year he has also gotten sick a lot. Major stomach issues, lots of colds, and lots of insomnia. I think his body is fighting so hard to not be in pain, that it is susceptible to other kinds of illness easily.

Less than a year ago we heard of a doctor in Seattle who specializes in Lyme disease, and heard great things about her. We kind of brushed it off....who knows why. I think we had both just started our jobs after graduation and life was going good and we just...didn't do anything about it. Well, lately the symptoms have been bad. I've done research and seen that Lyme disease can often be misdiagnosed as GONE, while it really is lying dormant. Someone can feel better for up to a year before the symptoms come back. Lyme disease is a DEFENSIVE disease, meaning- it feels attacks on it, therefore disguises itself, and changes it's looks so that doctors think it's not there. It will even hide until it feels it can for sure come out again. Lyme disease is soooo serious. People are often misdiagnosed with MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Fibermialgia, so many things- when in reality, it's Lyme disease. So anyway- being that the symptoms have gotten so much worse lately, I've kind of just been thinking...Clay is 25. He should NOT be feeling this way all the time! And when is a better time going to come to try and figure this out? We don't have kids, we have a double income, if we are going to do this, NOW is the time. So, I called the doctor in Seattle, and we have an appointment for September 24th! Clay and I are thrilled. We are still both a little scared though...just that we'll put all this time and money (as we've done before) to get no results...or only temporary results. But, this doctor is different than any we've heard of, and the treatments she does is different than how any doc we've heard of does it. She said she has many patients from Idaho and has them come to Seattle every 2-3 months. Which is awesome! Definitely doable.

So, that's what's going on right now. Clay-actually, is sick on the couch right now (a stupid cold), and I talked to the doctor today, and we are so excited. I think this is what we need to be doing, and I feel like we are headed in the right direction for once. Please keep us in your prayers if you can, I'm sure they could help- they helped last time...when we found out it was Lyme disease. Maybe this time, we'll actually get rid of it and who knows- Clay might just get his body back!

12 comments:

Patty Hibble said...

God bless you both. You're so fortunate to have each other. Please keep us posted. Praying for you guys!

Kristi M. said...

How great it would be to find some help from someone that knows so much about it. I hope she can figure this out so Clay can move on with life pain free.

Jenni said...

Oh Danielle our prayers are with you 100%. It would be such a relief to have a doctor that could help. Even if she is in Seattle. Keep us posted!

katy said...

I didn't know that Clay had Lyme disease and that he was going through such a hard time with his health. I think that's awesome you are going to try a new Doc in Seattle. I hope you guys get the help and answers you are looking for. I will be praying for your fam.

Penny Cluff said...

I think you were brought together early in life for this very reason. Loving support during trials makes all the difference. Lyme D is wicked, but hopefully you will find some answers. I pray you do. I will put your names on the prayer roll in our St. George temple. Love.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Uhhhhhhh my comment did not show up? did you get it?

Megan and Greg said...

Wow, Dan. I love you. And Clay. I knew all this, but I didn't realize it had gotten so much worse again. You had SORT OF mentioned it, but we never really talked about it. I'm glad you found someone who sounds awesome. It sounds like a great idea. And you're right, now is the time. And let's say worse comes to worse and nothing comes of it (which I totally doubt) you can wipe your hands saying you literally tried everything you knew of. Otherwise that, "always wondering" will not feel good later on. Anyway. I think it sounds great and I can't wait for you guys to go and see what's going on. I had no idea Lyme Disease was so serious and hard to diagnose. I mean, I knew a little from talking to you when we all found out- but it's such a bigger deal than I realized. I'm sorry you have this trial, but you know what? I honestly have faith it will be solved and cured! I really do! I love you. I'm glad you posted, I will pray for you tonight!!!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

Lyme's D. is a tough one, and I have a friend who wasn't dignosed for many years and it still plagues him. We will keep you in our prayers, and I hope the doctor in seattle will help you. I hope you can find some answers. I think you probably need to keep up the herbs and Vit. etc for most of his life. We love you both so much

Alisha and Braeden said...

We have learned about lyme disease in class and it is serious disease. That is the number one reason why I hate going to the doctor because they just a guess and treat the symptoms...they give you something that MIGHT help and never really figure out what the problem is. Have you guys ever been to Seattle before? It's great! You both are in our prayers and we hope this doctor will be able to help clay so he can be healthy. Good luck and keep us posted :)

Kami said...

I really hope things work out this time! He is definitely too young to feel that way. We'll be praying for you guys.
I haven't even started Mockingjay. I'm trying not to buy it and just wait for my sister to finish and get it too me. I'm glad to hear that you liked it though. I'm excited!! I haven't been doing much reading lately. I've been crocheting like crazy. I have at etsy shop too. I didn't know you had one. I'll have to check it out. How are you doing with it? Well, it was good to hear from you. I haven't blogged for a while, and it was nice to see what's going on with you guys!

HeidiT said...

What a huge relief so have some sort of answers, or at least a direction to go in!

Rebecca said...

I'm so glad you guys are going for it. So glad. You have nothing to lose. You have to do something. I'm so happy for you and we will pray for you in every prayer. My girls are super about that kind of stuff. I love you so much.