Monday, August 20, 2007

New Calling

Well, the bishopric quickly caught us and gave us a calling this last week. We've been sustained and everything! You will probably all be confused when you hear this, but I'll explain. We are Gospel Doctrine teachers! Yes, both of us- together.

Now, you are probably thinking- that doesn't make sense. I've always been taught my one teacher- wouldn't two be distracting and odd and hard to gather the spirit? Hmmm...yup! It has been odd- they do this at BYU-I. Even in the single student wards they had 2 teachers teaching at the same time each lesson- they do it still at the married student wards. I pretty much don't like it that much, but you know- I am sure I will be tried for thinking this- because obviously BYU-I is run by the Lord and if the leaders feel inspired to run Sunday School this way, it probably is meant to be.

SO- Clay and I are Sunday school instructors. Can I tell you the truth? This has always been my biggest fear- to teach Sunday school. Maybe not to a bunch of kids, but to a bunch of return missionaries around my same age...yes. Also, no one participates- ever! In my last ward, I kid you not- I said the prayer like every week because no one else would volunteer, and I constantly was answering questions (even though I had no idea what I was talking about) because no one else would answer. I fear that there are no Danielle's in my ward. Ah. Anyway- Clay and I have gone over each of our pet peaves about Sunday school and the way it is taught and are ready to fully prepare and make the best out of it. I think it will be good for Clay and me as a couple- it will probably bring the spirit in our home a lot because we'll be studying that much more scriptures.

The real hard thing for me is- I remember experiences I'VE had- or you know, I understand the Spirit, but I never remember old Bible stories. Everyone else seems to remember them. I seriously am like- Who? I don't even recognize that name. I always pay attention in classes- my whole life, I just forget the stories- but remember the principles. So in Sunday School, people always bring up old Bible stories and I will be like...hmm- this one's on you Clay. Ugh. Oh well- I am sure I am capable otherwise I wouldn't be called.

I am a little excited though.

So Rexburg weather has been odd lately. It's been cloudy for like a week, very windy (more than usual) and a bit chilly. I really wouldn't be surprised if it up and snowed tomorrow. I'm sure it wont but Rexburg kind of reminds me of the Coast. Unpredictable.

We leave for Oregon on Saturday! I CAN'T WAIT! By the way mom- we need to talk about Courtenay's bridal shower and endowments and stuff- amy says you are invited and it is during my stay. Anyway- that's it. I am hoping this week wont go by slowly because I am so excited for Saturday. I am getting into Lei Mis very much now. I read like 90 pages yesterday. I know that's not a lot for like...Harry Potter, but the rate I have been going with THIS book has been like 10 pages a week. It's been hard for me to get into. I think I am very much into it now though.

I am having second thoughts about my hair now. I keep deciding I will wait until I get to Oregon to decide what everyone else thinks, but I can't take it! The decision is racking my soul and I need a decision. Short, Long, Dye, Keep Brown, PERM?! No perm. I don't think megan does perms though- I don't know...so that would be a damper in my check book. Hm...we'll see.

All right- you are all probably dead bored now. Sorry for all my rambling. I just need to do that sometimes. Besides I kind of think of this as my journal so...deal with it? Ha, just kidding. Anyway- BYE!

7 comments:

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

First cool cool cool about your calling. I would love that calling. You will feel more spiritual, because of studying the scriptures more. And any weirdness of sharing the teaching part will be far out shadowed by the discussion of the scrips with each other. I wonder if the reason they do that in the young married wards is for that reason alone, it will bring you two even closer than you are.! Lucky you two!!!

Second the hair police will not come take you away if you make the "wrong" choice, and hair grows. I would do what you want and not worry about how you think it might come out or what others might think. It has taken me a long time to just force myself to think about what I want and what I can keep up. Will I do what is needed for the look I want. If not, then what will I do and so what will look cute for what "I" will really do. So look at it that way. I thought my hair was really cute long when I curled it and I liked it straight when I had just washed it, Dad hated it straight after I had started curling it. I just didn't have it in me to curl it every day. So I cut it. I loved the long hair and it was fun. I am glad I let it get that way. I will probably never do it again. So I am glad I had it long when I did. It was fun for that time.

Soo I don't know if that helps. Do what you think you want and what will make you feel pretty within your capabilities!!!!

And amazingly enough I never get bored with long blogs. So don't worry about that!!!

Danielle said...

I KNEW you'd say something about the police- and how they wont come and get me. I am not concerned about that though- really, I just want to feel pretty and I am not sure what will make me feel pretty!

Lizzie said...

Oh, I never get bored at your blogs-I love them. And after I talked to you yesterday on the phone, I missed you so bad. I want to come and visit you. Basically I want to come and visit everyone, I just don't know how to do it alone with two kids. I'll get used to it eventually, right?

I cannot believe you are sunday school teachers!!! That has also been my number feared calling at church. I would feel so intimidated. But I bet you will do GREAT! For me what stresses me out is when someone comments and then it's off subject and getting everyone back on topic. Our wards here usually have 2 teachers too! But, they do not teach at the same time. They switch off every other week. So do you start when you get back from Oregon?? I bet you'll gain such a strong testimony of the scriptures.

Mom's comment is funny, because I've heard her talk about the fashion police and decorator police before.

Have fun in Oregon!!!! I'm jealous Love you!

Emily said...

I'm so glad you have that calling and not me! You guys will be great! I liked that about Rexburg, the 2 teachers...it gave different perspectives and viewpoints, and that was nice. Are you guys in a married student ward or a family ward?

Have tons of fun in Oregon!

Megan and Greg said...

Wii can't wait to see you guys...

Hey, just thought that I would comment and say that we're excited to see yall. I tried to call Clay on his birthday but realized the number that I have from you guys is ancient and doesn't work so I'll have to get your real number from Megan. Anyway, it's the thought that counts right? Consider yourself lucky for narrowly escaping my own rendition of "happy birthday". maybe next year... Changing subjects--I am really glad that Danielle is reading Les Miserables. It is without a doubt my favorite book. Victor Hugo actually wrote it to be a religious work and it has been quoted extensively by modern prophets. In fact, Spencer W. Kimball said that after the scriptures it was the most important book he had ever read. Anyway, I am excited for you! Well, I better be off. Keep up the bloggin! --El Grego

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Danielle, I can't believe we talked on the phone and you didn't mention any of this!But we were on a roll. Ok anyway- you guys are going to be so close spiritually, and your marriage will be perfect because of it. And- you have a really strong testimony, I am not worried whatsoever about you teaching. It's nice that it's both of you, because that would be really intimidating. I have the family's New Testament- do you know what I'm talking about? it's big- has explanations. ANYWAY- I don't think I could be teaching sunday school without it. It makes all teh sense to me, and I just think, "these poor kids, no wonder they hate reading the scriptures at church." This book explains everything- and it explains vocab, and I always print out the vocab that is foriegn and post it on the chalk board. That has made such a big diffrence! IT has changed teh meaning of verses completely! It is 40-45 dollars- but I would get it even if you weren't teaching this class, but if you did, it would help so much in the class, and you'd have it for life. I have the same thing in the Book of Mormon and I loved it but Sarah stole it- I told her she needs to send it back or give me money for it. If you're worried about remembering old stories- (you probably don't need to because it will be related to your lesson so you'll already know from planning it) but if you want ot know- read the children's version of the scriptures- then you can quickly get freshend up in your Bible Stories. I did that with the D&C once. Anyway- everyone is your age- so they know just as much as you do. And regardless of if men have been on missions or not- I think Men already think they know everything about the church more than the women do. Those egos....ha. You are going to do such a great job! I love the New Testament because I study it do much now. I know you will too. That's so cool!!!!! I can't wait to see you guys! I love you!

Steve/Dad/Grandpa said...

Danielle and Clay, congratulations on your new calling. Do you know that is the most coveted calling in the whole church. They only call people to it that have the smartest and best looking parents in the world. You will both do a great job.