Monday, July 29, 2013

Rock Climbing

One of my 25 things I wanted to do in my 25th year of life was Rock Climbing! We did this in June I just haven't gotten around to sharing it.

I wanted to go rock climbing for a few different reasons. One, to conquer a fear...I am quite scared of heights! And there is something about conquering fears that makes me feel like I'm growing...so there's that. Then I also thought this would be a good way to be in nature and enjoy the earth without much of a risk of ticks. I do admit though, the small "hike" to the wall (5 minutes or so) had me feeling anxiety as my ankles were brushing up against bushes! Eck! Will I ever not get worried? I don't think so. Just stepping in taller grass makes me nervous.

Anyway, our friend Lyon loves to rock climb and has been wanting us to go for years, so this was perfect! He offered to take us (he has all the equipment and such) and so we finally took him up on it!

It was so great because he gave us good tips and was there cheering us on throughout.

I didn't make it to the top, but I made it REALLY far and I was so proud of myself! It was actually really fun! I looked down only a couple times and it was pretty nerve wracking! But it is comforting to know that you have someone holding the rope at the bottom if you fall (I did fall at the very beginning...which I'm actually glad happened cause it made me realize how stable I really was in my harness thingy).

Clay made it to the very top! My battery died by the time he got there though :(

It was SO fun and I really want to go again! I need to get Clay to agree before the good weather ends.



















(This is Lyon for those who are wondering-he was actually one of Clay's groomsmen for our wedding)

6 comments:

Aliese the Writer said...

That is so amazing, Danielle! We were able to go rock climbing and zip lining at Girls Camp this year, but I did not want to do the rock climbing. The zip lining actually had a bit of a 'rock climb' up to it and I did that, but I didn't want to climb up a whole wall! You are so amazing to conquer you fears like that. :) Love you!

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

I am so proud of you!! I think I would like that. Doubt I ever will though. The Lyme thing, I find myself feeling that way and I have never been through what you have, so , probably you will always think about it. Loved the pics! love you! glad you're blogging more. I promise to do better!

Megan and Greg said...

Hey great job! I can't believe you did so good. The last time I went rock climbing I went about 12 feet and the whole time I kept saying, "I don't understand this!" And thinking, "Why does anyone like this?! Who in their right mind would want to hang off a rock! This isn't FUN." I didn't enjoy it at all. Great job! Cool pics.

Megan and Greg said...

Oh the ticks. Good job, by the way. I have been WAY WAY WAAAAAAYYYYY more laxed lately. It still is on my mind. But the fact that I can let my kids run through the grass and play in bushes is a BIG improvement for me. Granted- I didn't have lyme and my kid onlyu suffered a year- so if it was what you went through, maybe it would take a lot longer. BUT, I think you're already showing improvement, and I wouldn't be surprised if in 5 years you're way more relaxed about it and just AWARE of ticks, and not so much afraid. Who knows.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

I didnt' know that you were afraid of this. That is so impressive that you did it even though you were afraid! I have only been once, but it was SO MUCH FUN! You were so close to the top! good job! Ok, I don't think you realize how cute you are! You are so cute! and you and clay are really cute together too! fun fun.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

and the ticks.... eyeye. Any time I see maddie go through brush, I ALWAYS think ticks, and after I check her legs, and I'm really anal about rashes too. Cause there is a rash that looks alot like the tick rash- but opposite, so it always confuses me, and freaks me out when i see it. I think it's ring worm. You will probably always have those fears unfortunately. But I'm glad it's not keeping you from being outside.