Friday, June 29, 2012

Coconut Sweet Rice Breakfast

Today I was originally going to post about "the day after". And how much my joints hurt...and how frustrated I was. But...meh. I think I was being dramatic. And I pretty much hate to knowingly have the attitude of "poor me". The truth is, I came to realize yesterday...and again today...that I really should've built up to what I did. Even though what I did wasn't much, I should've began with speed walking for a few days. Then adding in a minute or two of jogging. And keep going at that pace. Yesterday, my knees felt broken. Literally. Like...they needed to be bandaged up or something because they just weren't moving right when I walked on them. This morning...my hips. And if anyone says anything like, "You know, it's normal to be sore after something like that" or "you know a lot of people have joint problems when they run" I might sucker punch you through the computer screen cause that's one of the most annoying comments I've ever heard since having Lyme. I actually DO have a brain that holds memories and a body that holds memories and I understand what "sore" and "achey" feels like. In fact, I have those feelings ONTOP of the other feelings. Clay used to get so annoyed at me when I'd say things like that to him, hoping he really is better and doesn't know it...but now I completely understand. It's just not the same...and you wont understand until you're experiencing it. Anyway...rant over.

I'm okay though. I'm basically just bummed I couldn't go to Zumba last night. They did it outside, and who doesn't want to try Zumba outside?! Hopefully they'll do it again. 



So this has been a favorite breakfast among much of my family lately. It's SO easy, and SO delicious, and SO healthy. 

Coconut Sweet Rice Breakfast

Brown Rice
Sliced Berries
Chopped Nuts (I use pecans)
Coconut Oil
Agave (use xagave brand for optimal nutrition)


Make a bunch of brown rice at the beginning of the week so you can scoop out a bowlful each day and just warm it in the microwave for a minute after putting coconut oil and agave on top. Put berries and nuts in. Eat.


AMAZING. 

It seriously feels like a treat. But your getting a ton of nutrition. I eat this for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It's good for any meal really...it takes maybe a minute longer than a bowl of cereal, and less time than oatmeal, and in my opinion it's healthier than both. 

DO IT! You wont regret it.

Did you know about the benefits of coconut oil? There are so many benefits...but some of them include: improving heart health, boosting your thyroid, increasing metabolism, supporting immune system, regulating blood sugar, among other things. I have been trying to replace butter and oils in recipes with coconut oil, and in some things you really can taste the coconut, in others not so much...but it's never overpowering.


Today I have a big “to-do” list before vacationing…change address on my license…return a book to a friend…get clay’s meds…pack…WAIT- change my address? Yeah. I got called to Jury Duty in Rexburg, a place I haven’t lived in about 3 years…and the letter came to my Idaho Falls address and well, it’s pretty silly. I have to send in proof that I don’t live in Rexburg to get out of it and so I need to go change my address on my license which, I KNOW, I should’ve done three years ago. Blah. The timing is just annoying. Oh well.

Do you want to spice up your 4th of July décor? Download my free print with the “God Bless the USA” lyrics on them. Who doesn’t love that song? I pretty much tear up a LOT of the times that I hear it. I have to say, I think I’m a pretty proud American. I just love this place! I’m so proud to be an American, and I love other countries and want to visit them too…but America is just a different kind of special I think. I just wish more people realized how blessed they were to be here.

Happy Independence Day!

5 comments:

Ariel Tyler Henley said...

Wow! I've never heard of this! I'll have to try it!

Megan and Greg said...

I actually really don't love that song, but the words are good. I just don't love the way it sounds. But I remember when Greg and I were in Belgium, it was just another day- but Greg put on our Patriotic Mix and we both got a little emotional with some of the songs. I hate when people don't appreciate the wonderfulness of America- but at the same time I hate when people act like we're so much better than everyone else. I wish other people understood that other countries are just as amazing. But I seriously think we're the only country that offers free water and bathroom services. That is a plus I will never take for granted. But I gotta say, I think the best part of America is the WEST!!!! I'm so glad you're blogging so much.

Oh yeah, I'm so sorry about your joints! That stinks!!! I was amazed that it didn't give you any issues. I was wondering if you should run at all, but I guess you can- just like you said, build up. I have no health problems and it took me running EVERYDAY for 2 MONTHS to get to 2 miles. It probably took me a month just to get to a MILE. But I really don't remember. I'd have to look it up. I would think it would be hard for you, though, if you're not doing it everyday. Once a week doesn't seem like it would condition you much. Like every week would feel like the first time. But I really don't know much about running.

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I hate it when my joints hurt and sometimes, that is just a part of my life and there isn't a whole lot I can do that I'm not already doing. No one ever understands about something unless they walk a mile in your boots. That is the truth, and there isn't any other way to say it. I love you and the breakfast looks yummy! I hope your pain gets better, and there just may be some things you'll need to start slow and work up to it. I don't know a lot about running, I do know a lot about pain and nothing is worth having it a lot. So consider what your options are and try to live within them. I have diabetes and even if my blood sugar is sometimes 86 which is normal, and my a1c is normal, I still have diabetes, can't get away from the fact, and you may have to live with the effects of Lymes for a long time, you just need to acess how you are going to deal with the results of it. I know it isn't fair and I know it is hard, but we all have to deal with the problems we have been given and overcome what we can. Just remember you are the best and that we love you and that Heavenly Father loves you. He will see you through this and a lot more as you live your life, lean on him. Hugs and Kisses

Kristi M. said...

So this post totally reminded me that I have to call in for jury duty every day for the month of July and I had yet to do it. oops! So I just did and I don't have to go at least for Monday. I have so much this month and I just really hope I don't have to go at all. I used to really want to do it. I got called up literally the week we moved from Ada to Canyon County. I was bummed. But then I had no kids and a job I could easily get out of. Now I better not get called. I would have to farm them out. Glad you posted that or else I would have had to forget that I have to call in every single day!

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

Love sweet brown rice!! I looovv e grain breakfast with berries and coconut oil. When I am down about 2 more pounds I want to start adding nuts to my breakfast. The pics are soooo cool. You make a cool and fun blog! love and miss you already!