Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Projects food projects food yummmmmmmmm

Lets start with a story. A few months ago I was at the good ol DI. One of my favorite shopping centers. I happened to stumble upon this proud beauty.
I wanted it REAL bad. But...it was like...$28 bucks or something like that. I'm a SUPER cheap person, and so that was just too spendy for my liking. I knew it was just recently put on the floor cause I like to regularly stroll through DI and I'd never seen it before. I sadly walked away thinking someone would snatch it quick. Over the next month I thought about it often...wondering if it was still there. A month later I went to DI cause we needed an end table to set a lamp on. Low and behold my end table was there! Except it was changed. It now didn't look so proud, but a bit lonely...with just an $8 price tag on it! Poor guy....lucky me. So I texted Clay the very pic you see above, and he said- GET IT! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! Now....I showed my co-workers the table, and they were like...uh- danielle, my parents had tables like that in the 70's...what are you thinking? I, of course, have visions many people can't comprehend.

I've seen a spray paint color on allthingsthrifty.com, that she uses on LOTS of her furniture and I LOVE IT! I searched all over town for it. NO ONE HAD IT! Oh my gosh. So I google the exact color, and what do you know? DISCONTINUED! I almost cried. Until I googled it again, and saw that someone was selling it! I bought 3 cans, just to be safe:) And I also bought Ralph Lauren glaze that allthingsthrifty.com uses as well, and badabing badaboom- came up with this!


The best part of this furniture? The amazing woodworking details that POP with the glaze. Oh how we love it! So now we have this AWESOME piece of turquoisish bluish furniture and it basically is awesome. Except now that the table looks so awesome we realize the lamp needs some sprucing...that's the next project! Wanna know where I learned how to glaze like that? I bet you can guess- allthingsthrifty.com. Seriously- probably best blog for furniture re-purposing instructions.

Remember those clutches I made for my mother-in-law Patty? WELL, I just couldn't stop thinking about how much I loved them and wanted them- so I made one for myself with a bit a of a twist!
You know how the ones I made for Patty were ruffled with a straight strip in the middle? This time I did opposite!

I also made double the rows of card holders, and a specific pocket for cash and check book.
I'm very pleased. I've already got lotsa compliments!

I made this the other night. It's a classic. SO good.
I'm eating fresh out of the oven whole wheat bread. Slathered in butter. YUM! I seriously just love bread so much that I pretty much die when it's out. We are getting a free upright freezer at the end of this week (SCORE!) and I'm way pumped cause I'll make a bunch of loaves of bread and freeze them so I'll never be out. And have lots of freezer meals. Perfect!

Well..........that's all for now I guess. Life is pretty good for us. Memorial day weekend consisted of that end table, Clay caulking in between our hard floors and random places...FINALLY done...thank goodness. Ummmmm....lots of randomness. Can't remember now. Till next time- PEACE!

31 comments:

Alisha and Braeden said...

I absolutely LOVE that side table you spray painted! I want to find one now and do it! I love that color too. I wish we lived by each other so you could teach me how to do all these things!

Courtenay Beth said...

That table makes me so so so envious! I love it!!! You did SUCH a beautiful job! LOVE IT!!!! Well done, way t see the vision...I am so impressed! I never would have thought to do that! Wow. Still in awe. Gorgeous!

katy said...

How funny. Grandma Arnold had a table just like that. I think we still have it some place. Wow, you made it look so cute. Don't you hate it when you have a vision and nobody else trusts it. Yummy looking salad. Do you have one of those cool cameras too? It's like all of yours and lizzy's pics are out of magazines. OH AND MEGAN IF YOU READ THIS MY EMAIL IS katz.kreatioinz@gmail.com I emailed it to you once but I guess I messed up.

Megan and Greg said...

Wow, a free freezer? I need one of those. Our freezer is already filling up and I don't want to jam things in. I didn't realize your clutches had card holders, I need one of those! You and Amy have turned me to the dark side and I LOVE Bachelorette now! I'm totally sold. Loved every minute of the last episode except I don't like Frank. He bugs. I wish the next episode was tomorrow, or today. As always, Dan your craftiness blows me away! Pretty soon you won't have room for all your finished projects! You have to start selling them somewhere!!!

Brittany Flint said...

oh my heck i saw this on the other blog and i so want to do a piece of furniture like this!! you found an awesome one to do it with one day i will find mine!! it looks amazing, i want to come see it!

Kristi M. said...

Love it when things are marked down when you wait long enough. The wait can be so hard though and I too would have been too cheap for $28. Love it! I've also seen projects done with the RL glaze. Looks like neat stuff. Thanks for another great website added to my ever growing list on google reader. I can never get enough ideas. Can't wait to see what you do next.

Jenni said...

Emily just showed me that blog and I'm totally in love with it! I'm going to re-do my chairs first. It's my first project and I'm quite nervous! But your table turned out gorgeous!

ALSO- LOVING the taco salad recipe! Keep 'em comin! I'm stealing that one for sure!

Kayleen said...

that table looks awesome! Again, I am in awe of you. You think your projects take long, but it seems like you have a new one completed almost every week!! Nice work!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

Beautiful table and yummy looking salad. I think the paint on the table is really great! You are such a talented girl. Love you Lots

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

Totally awesome blog!!! I can't believe that table!!! It makes me want to do that with some of our beach house furniture! That is amazing. I have and have had old fashioned furniture like that and feel like it is so out dated. I need to get on that site and do that after we are moved in completely, if that ever happens!!!!, Loved the little clutch. Taco salad looks wonderful!!! I wish I was skinny enough to eat all the bread I wanted slathered with butter! Freezer!!! Good for you!! Love and MISS YOU!!!!

Josh and Lauren said...

THAT end table is THE BOMB.COM!!! For real, it's AWESOME!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

OH MY GOSH DANIELLE!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT TABLE IT AMAZING!!!!!!! And it woudl go perfect with my stuff- becaues of my blue chairs and black furniture it would be the perfect mix of the two- want to just give it to me? OK- so we are going to have to talk about this table- DANIELLE! Why can't our husbands go into business together, so we can live next door to eachother- we NEED to live by eachother- you are my soul mate- my dream best friend- but all of your awesomeness is far away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ahhhhh it just kills me. You want to know somethign funny? Mike saw that picture adn described it to me (from work- since we didn't have the internet) and he said it was a desk- BAh!!!!!!!! silly man. how in the world did he get a desk from that?! so funny. Ok I can't wait to talk to you about this table- what you used and how- I know you sent the link- but I want to talk to you about it. we love taco salad- it's a staple in our house- bread- I make it and it's only good the first day- the rest of the dayys it's really dry and crumbly........ love you-

AMY AND MIKEY said...

oh yeah- and that black flower you made for the clutch- love it! did you just make it up?! love it!

Not quite the Bradys said...

That table is super cool! Also, it reminds me a little of a new dollar bill but I mean that in the best way. I love what you've done with your blog. :) Thanks for sharing your awesome creativity with us.

Brooke Ulrich said...

I just featured you over at All Things Thrifty! :) Grab a featured button! LOVE THIS TABLE!

Unknown said...

popping over from 'all things thrifty' to tell you I adore that table and am inspired to paint my ugly ones now!! Great job!

Emily said...

Way to go Danielle, looks awesome!!!

can't believe you got the table for 8 bucks. Score!

E and J said...

SOOO cute! I LOVE the table, and the color and ALL OF IT! Super cute. I stopped over from ALL THINGS THRIFTY and {SURPRISE!} you’re an Arnold! Cuteness just radiates. (how many times have I used the word CUTE?!) Great project, it looks FAB.

Erica Westover Gifford

andrea said...

I just saw this on all things thrifty and I just want to say that it looks awesome! I love great finds at the DI/thrift stores. Beautiful job!

Sarah said...

I LOVE your table! I've been waiting to fidn the perfect piece of furniture to paint and glaze, hope mine turns out as amazing as yours!

Magic Brush said...

They discontinued that color???? I just did a table with it a few months ago!!!!!!!! Oh no! Yours looks amazing!!! Great glaze job!!!

lisa winnett said...

I love the the End Table! that looks awesome, great job.

Blue Artichoke Interiors said...

I love this redo! I just bought some of the Ocean Breeze yesterday, but didn't know it was discontinued. Time to start hoarding it.

Bonnie Weeks said...

The side table looks amazing! I'm so excited to glaze a mirror that I found. You did a great job. And the clutch is so cute that way.

Amy Brown said...

I LOVE YOUR END TABLE!!! I'm going to the D.I. right now to find one! I found your post from allthingsthrify.com and I was looking at your blog to post a comment and realized that I know your husband! CRAZY!! Tell Clay hi from Amy (Griffin) Brown (if he even remembers me!) LOVE THE END TABLE!! and the wingback chair. I'll have to try that one too!

I'm MAD about Pretty Things! said...

LOVE,LOVE,LOVE the end table! How beautiful! Wish we had a D.I. closer!

The Keylors said...

Oh my goodness! That's probably the most beautiful glazing job I have ever seen! I hope you brought the after picture to work to show the girls. Amazing transformation! Great job!

Caitlin said...

I cannot even tell you how much I LOVE LOVE LOVE that table. It looks ah-ma-zinggggly gorgeous!!!

I came here from better after and let me tell you this is wayyyy better after!!! I need to learn how to do that glazing stuff!!! oh my gosh I LOVE it!!!

Caitlin :-)

Lydia said...

That is one of the best redo's I have seen! GREAT WORK!!!

CC said...

Alright so I'm a few years late here but that end table looks amazing! I just snagged a similar table off the side of the road. Did you strip the existing paint before you spray painted over it? Roughly how many coats of spray paint and gloss did you use? Thanks!

JROK said...

Hi! What is the name of that blue color you used? It's so perfect! Thanks! Jeanette